Kreme de la Kosovo

Friday, June 29, 2007

Cherry Picking Time


These cherries were growing in the yard of our friends' house in Gracanica last week. They were a sour cherry and I was really thinking about asking for some to try to make a cherry pie. Then I remembered how difficult it is to buy lard here....never mind shortening. American pie does not exist here and there doesn't seem to be a big demand for shortening so making pie crust is out. And it goes without saying that Betty Crocker pie crust mix will probably never show up on the grocery shelves here.

But I thought these cherries were beautiful so I'm sharing them with you here. I wish everyone could see the fruits and vegetables that grow here. Janet, a friend of ours from Colorado, said one time that she thinks you could just plant a wooden stick in the ground here and it would grow. I don't think she's entirely wrong about that. The climate is really good here and you should see the topsoil. We drove by a construction site the other day that had a place dug out and you could see the dark topsoil and it was about three feet deep. I would kill to have soil like that in my garden at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home