Kreme de la Kosovo

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Dragstor Betty


In the interest of keeping my blog alive I decided to go through some old photos and post some of them.
This is, according to Zoran, a very, very famous place in the Balkans. It is Dragstor Betty is Skopje, Macedonia. If you can read the Cyrillic alphabet you can even make out the word Betty on the sign. Dragstor Betty was right by where we rented an apartment from Zoran for a couple of days on our last short vacation to Macedonia. Supposedly, this little store was the first one in the Balkans to embrace the idea of being a 24 hour convenience store....you know, kind of like a 7 Eleven in the US. And for this it is famous.
There are a number of "dragstors" here in Prishtina and I'm not entirely sure of the translation. The name dragstor seems to provoke humorous comments from Americans when they first arrive here...apparently because they think it sounds like "dragster". It's actually pronounced something closer to "drugstore". Drugstores, however, are called "barnatores" here. In Serbia they are Apotekas.
There are innumerable mini markets in every neighborhood here but only some call themselves dragstors. I can't find my Albanian dictionary this minute so I'll have to do an update on this later.
Look....I'm trying to keep this blog alive, okay?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home