Kreme de la Kosovo

Monday, March 06, 2006

Shume Katastrof


Shume katastrof basically means "disastrous". I used that because I don't know the Albanian words for "pass the Pepto-Bismol".
A week ago last Friday night Tom and I and Marcia and Kelly went to dinner together at one of our all-time favorite restaurants, Bella Vista. They have absolutely the best pepper steak you could ever possibly imagine. We shared some starters and we all had various entrees. Saturday morning Tom reported that he thought he was coming down with the flu. By that night he was wretchedly sick, throwing up, body aches and so on. By Sunday night I was pretty sure I was coming down with it, too, but I was hoping I was just having sympathy pains.
Nope, Monday morning I barely moved off the bed other than to let Tom in when he came home for lunch. I must have made quite a sight for him......dragon breath, hair plastered to my head and skin the color of wax paper. By that night I was in a fetal ball praying for the sweet release of death.
I didn't feel much better the next day, either, but we found out that Marcia and Kelly had spent the weekend sick, too, so we decided we must have food poisoning. I really was hoping that wasn't the case because I knew I probably wouldn't go back to the Bella Vista and I love the place.
Anyway, we all recovered but it took each of us several days to feel like we were among the living. I thought I was over it Wednesday when I had about a four hour reprieve. I made the mistake of eating something and had a major relapse. Us girls all reported that Friday was the first day we could really say we were well. And we celebrated by going to dinner...this time at OSCE headquarters where they have a dandy restaurant on the top floor. There is no smoking allowed and there is a great view of the city. I had the BEST Greek chicken salad ever. Maybe I was just happy to be eating and not feel queasy, but it sure tasted good.
The good news is that we can continue to go to the Bella Vista. Several of Tom's co-workers and friends have (unfortunately) come down with this "bug", too, but most of them have not been to the Bella Vista.
I got all caught up on the housework and laundry over the weekend as best as I could. The electricity here has been a major issue for several days. Sometimes we only have one hour on and then three or more hours off. I'll be back to posting more stuff here now that everything is right with the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home