Kreme de la Kosovo

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Bird is the Word


This is just a photo I took from my window the other day. "The Birds" were showing up at the usual time, just about dusk. I'll try to get a really good picture of all the black birds that converge on Pristina every day. Some days they are so thick the sky almost goes dark. But I liked this one bird at the very top of the mosque across the street from our flat. I wonder if he has a "bird's eye view" of the city?
I've been told that the name Kosovo means something like "field of black birds". The real Field of Blackbirds is close to Obilic not too far from Pristina. That's where the Turks and the Serbs fought a gigantic battle back in 1389. There were thousands of corpses lying around the battlefield afterward and these black birds feasted on them. Ewwww.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home