Kreme de la Kosovo

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Revenge in Dresden


We took another side trip to Dresden, Germany last Friday. It's not that we were tired of Prague, but we thought this would be interesting to go to Germany. I had always understood that Allied bombings had pretty much flattened Dresden so it wasn't a terrible surprise to see that there wasn't much there in the way of old buildings, churches, etc. My understanding is that the ones we did see have been reconstructed.
We decided to have lunch there at a pub and thank goodness we sat outside. Tom ordered pommes frites so he asked for ketchup when the food arrived. Well, here is what I suspect the scenario was back inside the pub: "Hey, Klaus, there are some Americans at table 3, give me a bottle of that exploding ketchup." Yes, my friends, the Dresdenites are getting even with us.
When Tom opened the bottle it literally exploded almost the entire contents all over the front of his shirt and jeans. How it missed getting into his hair and all over his face, I do not know. He even had ketchup on his elbows! We have always had a standing joke in the family about how Tom invariably dribbles a spot of something onto the front of his shirt.....but this was the mother of all spills! I didn't have the heart to take his photograph although I wish I had now.
The good part was that the pub gave Tom a new shirt. I think it is a little suspicious that they have laid in a supply of Freiberger Premium Beer polo shirts. I just know that when we were walking around all the locals saw that green shirt and thought, "Ha ha...they got another one." I do have to note, however, that Freiberger beer was the best beer we had on our entire trip. The travel brochures we saw all waxed poetic over the great beer in Prague (which it was), but the Germans have them beat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home