Kreme de la Kosovo

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Miracle of Nature


One more post about food and growing things in this region and that's it. I promise. I have been amazed over and over at all the grapes, olives, pomegranates, citrus fruits and figs that grow in this area. I checked and it appears that it is on roughly the same parallel that the central Oregon coast is on, however, I don't remember ever seeing anything growing there like all this. One of those big mysteries of life, I guess.
Nevertheless, listen to me when I tell you that the figs that grow here are something entirely different from any other fig I have tasted before. The ones I had in the past just seemed like so much mush. So when the lady who rented us a flat in Trstenik gave us this bowl full of figs and grapes I thought it was a really nice gesture but didn't get too excited. However, the next day Tom took a nap in the early afternoon and I was starving after being at the beach for the past three hours. So I decided to try the fruit she gave us. Oh, my good heavens....it wasn't just hunger that made me gulp down five figs one right after the other. These were incredible. Ambrosia. Food of the gods. I never did convince Tom to eat any of them, but it was just as well. More for me. Ha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home