Kreme de la Kosovo

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Leader of the Pack


Here's the guy who is supposedly The Cigarette King. He's the boss of all the cigarette vendors that plague downtown Prishtina. He must have dozens of guys who work for him. He always stays put in the same spot every day, 12 hours a day (at least). A smoker in Prishtina never has to go on a cigarette run to buy cigarettes because just walking down the street you will be accosted by the vendors about every two minutes. They also sell phone cards, gum, lighters, sometimes candy and on occasion these guys have flowers to sell, too. They invade every cafe I'm sure a hundred times a day. Apparently it is profitable. What really annoys me is the little kids who are pressed into service by their parents to sell stuff. I've seen children who appear to be only 6 or 8 years old trying to sell cigarettes and candy. Tom never lets me take photos of them because he feels that if I do, I should pay them, and it's against the law to pay these kids for anything.
And then there are the gypsy kids....their parents make them go out and beg. I have a lady whom I have adopted as "mine" who begs on a street corner and I give her money everytime I see her. I always give her enough money to buy bread for a week because I don't know if I will see her everyday. Maybe someday I will be able to get a photo of her, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home