Kreme de la Kosovo

Saturday, February 11, 2006

My own private Kosovo

Wish I could post some photos but at the moment I am mired down in a tangle of Kosovo bugaboos. Violeta, one of the press officers at Tom's office, offered me this Albanian word for my predicament: guzhume. It means when there is a mixture of a lot of different problems coming together into one.
The internet access at Tom's flat is basically out of commission, the power is off on a fairly frequent basis and Tom's laptop is running about as slowly as possible. So I had to come to Tom's office today to use Kelly's computer so everyone wouldn't think I had dropped off the planet.
Tom's German friend Hagen is working on his laptop to hopefully speed things up a bit and Tom is going to hit up the landlord Arten about getting wireless internet access. Tom says he has heard that it is really slow but it has to be better than nothing. And nothing is what I have right now.
I arrived a day late to Pristina due to freezing fog at the airport. It didn't look so hot at Vienna, either, but nevertheless, we did take off from Vienna and got within maybe a half hour of Pristina when we went back to Vienna. After much pushing and shoving at the shuttle on the tarmack, we arrived back at the terminal and got booked on the next flight out which was supposed to depart at about 7:30 p.m. Not having had any sleep for about 30 hours I decided to camp out at the gate and try to get a little nap. Within minutes someone bumped my seat which caused me to look up and see that the flight had been cancelled. After trudging down to Baggage I had to pick my GIANT suitcase off a cart and then I was directed to a hotel across the street. The cold just about sucked the breath out of me the moment the door opened but I was so tired by then, I could have probably lay down in the street and gone to sleep. The good news is that the hotel was really nice, the bed had the best linens I think I have ever felt and it had a full sized bathtub. I poured the entire bottle of foaming bath gel into it and had a marvelous soak before going to bed. I put in a 9:00 wake up call and it was a good thing because I was still asleep when they called.
Back to the airport I went and after wasting some time in a smoky cafe (Europeans haven't gotten the word yet about the dangers of smoking) we took off an hour late. By some extraordinary feat the pilot punched it and we arrived 40 minutes early! I haven't figured that one out yet. More shoving ensued trying to get off the plane and of course, standing in line at Passport Control I was summarily pressed upon by a family of Albanians who didn't appreciate "personal space". My GIANT suitcase (oh, did I mention it weighed 60 pounds?) came off the conveyor belt right away and bip! I was out the door and there was Tom and Kelly and Marcia waiting for me....standing outside freezing to death practically! It sure was good to get here. Seemed like I had been on my journey for a week!
I have taken a few photos and I will post them as soon as I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home